Thursday, December 23, 2010

ATTN STUDENTS & PARENTS--Best Pencils & Erasers Ever !


I was over at my friend Joy’s house the other day while her grandkids were doing their homework. I sat with the six-year-old and was helping her with English. I couldn’t help but notice that her pencil and eraser were absolutely atrocious and she was struggling to get the words onto the paper.

I then went over to Brianna (a visiting neighbor kid who spends a lot of time there) to help her with her homework. Her pencil and eraser was in pretty much the same state…pitiful!

I reflected a bit afterwards about the disparity of the fact that my friend had just bought a brand new large flat screen TV, but didn’t have any decent pencils, erasers or pencil sharpener in the house. Made me think of the Titanic—they had everything but the things they needed most: more life rafts, binoculars in the crow’s nest, and a wire operator who would have paid heed to the ice warnings instead of sending passenger messages.

Obviously the outcome of using lousy pencils and erasers CANNOT be compared to the loss of the Titanic, but it is interesting that people frequently overlook the importance of items that are staples.

I love my friend, and I love her grandkids—so I took it upon myself to go buy some of my most favorite pencils, erasers and an automatic pencil sharpener for them. Plus I also bought some for Brianna (her neighbor’s daughter).

When I delivered them they all seemed very surprised and happy…but I knew that they weren’t really going to get excited until they started using them.

I went back a couple of days later…oh my gosh…you’d have thought I bought them the moon! The rave reviews from all concerned were nothing short of spectacular! They said, “I’ll never buy another kind of pencil or eraser.” “I can’t believe how much easier it is to erase things now.” “My work goes faster now.”

And the automatic pencil sharpener has become the Holy Grail of homework! I think they’re wondering how they ever did without it, and it brings to mind the good old days when pencil sharpeners were attached to the classroom wall or the teacher’s desk. They were reliable and dependable...ready and willing to get the job done!

It’s nice to know you can still make a difference in someone’s life, and that there are indeed little things you can buy that can become BIG things. So if you know someone who lacks some essentials, why not add them onto your “to do” list with a good pen or pencil and go buy them a some staples!

Here’s what I bought the kids:

U.S.A. Gold Natural #2 HB pencils by www.MEGABRANDS.com | They are easy to spot because while most pencils are yellow on the outside, these look more like natural wood. They are more expensive than the others, but not that much.

Pentel Hi-Polymer Erasers | They are rectangular and have little blue sleeves on them. Word of Advice: Do not take the sleeve off—the eraser functions better WITH it.

Note: Both pencils and erasers can be found at either Target or Walmart. The automatic pencil sharpener was purchased at Office Depot for about $13.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment